Friday, September 21, 2012

Ohio Mound Builders Sun Temple Found In South Carolina

Ohio Mound Builders Sun Temple or Henge Found In South Carolina  
Evidence Links the Cherokee with the Ohio Mound Builders



Henge complex at Camden South Carolina.  The largest henge was 550 (555) feet in circumference, which is identical to another found near Lexington, Kentucky.  The position of this site offers more evidence that the Cherokee Indians were part of the Hopewell Mound Builders Confederacy.


American Antiquarian, 1891
     We are ready to acknowledge the resemblance between these circles in the Kanawha Valley and those on the Wateree River in South Carolina, and especially the similar significance of the circle with the mound in its centwer, which seems always to be a sign of sun-worship. Squir and Davis have called attention to the general similarity between the southern mounds and thw Ohio mounds, especially to the fact that there were spiral paths around the outside of them. They speak of the council or oblong mound in the circle on the Wateree River, with a circumference of 550 feet at the base and 225 feet at the top, and 30 feet high. They say, however, that while this regiin was occupied by the Cherokee at one time and by the Ocmulgess at another, still the country was, many ages preceding the Cherokees, inhabited by one nation, who were ruled by the same system of laws, customs and language, but so ancient that the Cherokees or the Creeks could give no account of them or the purposes for which they erected the monuments. High pyramidal mounds, with spacious avenues leading to artificial lakes, and cubical yards, with sunken area and rotundas, are the characteristic works of the south-works which the Cherokee adopted and used, but which, it is said, they did not build. The contrast between the two classes is marked, as the watrer cult is plain in one and the sun-worship in the other, and yet, the connecting link may be found in the circles we are describing.

Megalithic Bee Hive tomb from North Carolina that contained the remains of a giant skeleton.

Smithsonian Insitute Bureau of Ethnology 1890-91
    Located on the farm of Rev. T.F. Nelson, in the northwest part of the county, and about a mile and a half southeast of Patterson. It stood on the bottom land of the Yadkin, about 100 yards from the river, and was almost a true circle in outline, 38 feet in diameter, but not exceeding at any point 18 inches in height. The thorough excavation made, in which Mr. Rogan, the Bureau agent, was assisted by Dr. J.M. spainhour, of Lenoir, showed that the original constructers had first dug a circular pit about 38 feet in diameter to the depth of 3 feet and there placed the dead, some in stone cist and others uninclosed, and afterwards covered them over, raising a slight mound above the pit. A plan of the pit, showing the stone graves and skeletons as they appeared after the removal of the dirt and before being disturbed, is given in figure. 207......No. 16 was uninclosed "squatter" of unusually large size, not less than 7 feet high when living. Near the mouth was an entire soapstone pipe; the legs were extended in a southwest direction upon a bed of burnt earth.