Giant Human Skeleton Found in Fort Wayne's West Central Neighborhood's Ancient Burial Ground
History of Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1868
In the extreme west end of the city [West Central] there -'was formerly an extensive bluff, perhaps some fifteen or sixteen feet higher than any other point within the present limits of Fort Wayne, which covered originally some two squares. It was, indeed, an immense sand heap. When, and how long accumulating, the ages alone can determine. The sand is of a rather fine quality, and much of it has served well, doubtless, for mortar, in building and other purposes. It extended from Wayne street, fronting and within, a few yards of the college, towards the river, a short distance below Berry street, and eastward perhaps about a square; somewhat sloping in its general character. Its highest point was at about the present terminus of Berry street. Over this knoll there extended but little vegetative life ; a few indifferent bushes here and there over it and about its margin, formed, perhaps, the principal part of its productive growth, as is usually the case with sandy points. The Indians are said to have had some huts upon it, some years ago. In removing this- great sand, heap, as in digging at other points within the present limits of Fort Wayne, the Indians having deposited their dead here and there, many bones and skulls were exhumed and removed. On one occasion, some workmen thus engaged, among many others, dug up a most remarkable skull —with high forehead and general formation extremely large — indicating a giant form to the possessor.